View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue fox
Actually GSD I agree with you(or Dr. Coren) IF MY DOG WAS WILD!
and it also depends greatly on the breed/dog. As with us don't you think if you were always fed different each day you would be used to it but if not it would throw off your system? I suffer from Fibromyalgia and sometimes food bothers me and sometimes not. Anyway some people actually feed their pets different foods all the time and they are great with that because they are use to it. We would probably be better off feeding a homemade diet but I don't know about you guys but I don't have time!! Lots of pros and cons to all of this.
Thanks everyone for your response!
Sue
I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from such a painful disease. Fibromyalgia, and the resulting irritable bowel & bladder problems that result from it (among other symptoms), isn't something I would wish on anybody, and could certainly affect what you're able or not able to eat/drink.

But illnesses affecting people and dogs can vary widely. While the domestic dog and wild dog eat different diets than one another, and there are certain restrictions placed on domestic dogs that aren't there for wild dogs (potty training and obedience ring to mind), that is basically the end of the differences, at least in my eyes. If you let a domestic dog to it's own devices in a home, with no training and discipline, you have a wild dog that lives in a house. If a wild dog, or a domestic dog for that matter, both eat a raw food diet consisting of beef, chicken, or lamb, the foods aren't mixed together for days (possibly weeks) until the dog is used to it. The same goes for canned/bagged food. Why mix them?

If you know of certain foods that your dog likes, mine likes Lamb/Rice, Whitefish/Potato, Duck/Potato, then why the mixing? I'm not saying you have to make homemade food. I certainly don't, and my dog is very happy & healthy. I don't mix her food when I change from one flavour to another. There's no need. The only reason I can see for doing something like that is to introduce food to a dog who's a bit fussy and doesn't like change. If someone has a dog like that, then you do whatever it takes to keep them eating. If your dog isn't fussy, then why bother?

I'm sorry if you don't like what I'm saying, but it's my opinion (and that of a respected pet Behaviourist/Psychologist). In the end, you have to do what's best for your pet. That's all that matters. Do what works!