View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Dog View Post
I have moved house several times with one or more cats and I have found that covering the carrier while travelling seems to calm the cats down. Anyways, I certainly hear fewer squeaks and squawks that way. You might also try putting a scoop or 2 of the litter that the kitten was using at the breeders in the litter pan you plan to use, familiar smell and all. Later, when you get home, you can add this to the litter pan you plan to use.

Lastly, I know this sounds strange, but I have used this method for 20 years and have never lost a cat after a move, so here goes. Once you get kitty home and before you let her explore, put some vegetable oil or butter on the tops of her paws, all 4 of them. Not enough to make a mess of your place but enough to make the fur sticky and dirty feeling to kitty. This encourages her to wash and washing is supposed to be a very calming action after a stressful event.
Good thought on covering the carrier - IF kitten is stressed. In taking over 50 cats to the vets to be fixed in the last couple of years I have only had to do that twice. Both times with feral cats. The rest of the time I have found the cats are more interested in staring at me.
If you are going to use the cleaning trick then I would think butter on the front two paws are more than enough. By "explore" I hope you mean the house. Definitely not outside!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!