View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
BenMax - my suggestion of medication or homeopathic anxiety remedy was because anxiety to this level:

may be beyond where he is even able to respond to training, and any training method depends on him being responsive. Ignore does not work with all dogs - he goes 6 hours straight, which is not healthy or useful.
Self mutilation is a form of anxiety or something medical can be going on. Medication will not remedy unless assessed by a vet. So I should add to my post that the dog should be seen by a vet first and formost to remove the possibility that there is a underlying medical condition. I would not jump to anything homeopathic again without consulting with a vet that specializes in it. Too many people google the internet and give whatever to a dog without consulting the vets first.

You cannot tell me that ignoring the dog is not going to work if you don't try it first. If you dedicate one weekend then the dog will hopefully respond. Maybe not immediately, but hopefully there will be improvement.

Listen, I am the LAST person to say that ignoring is the best thing...but when it comes to separation anxiety it usually does help. I have this experience over and over again within the 90+ foster dogs I have had in my home...if it does not work I would not even bother suggesting it. I rather pass on hands on experience and testimony than to simply suggest getting another dog or medicating it.

Last edited by BenMax; March 26th, 2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: SIA..corrected my spelling ..gawd bless