View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Thumbs up

Hello all,

Long weekend is over and we have got a dog we were looking for.

We had been to the animal centers this weekend and have seen a Rottweiler of 3 years, Siberian Husky of 3 years, beagle of 2 years, Jack Russell of < year, Labrador / boxer 10 months, Doberman…….. And so on. Jack seemed to be a small petite dog so we went to see JR she was a bundle of energy and kept on prancing around. The lady said these breeds are like these and require a lot of attention. Then we told her that we are working family and the dog will be alone from 9 – 5 at least and she recommended for a quieter breed and to do our research at a Chapters store. We did like the Husky as well but they did not recommend as a first time dog owners. We went to the chapters and spent 2 hours researching and going through books but were not influenced much with the material available to what we were looking for, believe me too much reading.

We then went to a pet store looking for information and found a lady there who was a customer and looking at dogs, my wife approached her and asked her is she knew anything about dogs for children and we started talking which finally led to someone who is selling dogs and were told that dogs in the stores were too expensive… etc. anyway off we were to see the person but unfortunately he was not there. Disappointed we went back and left a message. Half way we got his call and had to go back, he and his wife does breeding on side and had small puppies of Golden retriever and others. We saw a medium sized dog sadly looking sitting quietly and we asked him about that dog. My daughter was comfortable and approached her and she was OK so we took that dog. The female dog is a St. Bernard and Catahoula mix she is 3 months old and is very shy and has her tail inward when anyone approaches her. We got the papers for the shots and all and headed back home. My daughter named her Angel. The following day we brought her to the Vet and they gave her some drops from nose for some protection from other dogs (for info: vets are expensive that human doctors – specialty I guess) do we have to bring our dogs every month initially? Angel is very good with my daughter and has heard her bark only once when the hamster was rolling in the ball.

Angel is not potty trained so we have signed up for the classes as well beginning next Sunday and hopefully she will start going to the toilet soon in the right place.

Angel is a good dog and we are happy to welcome her in our family. It was quite an experience getting a dog. Thank you everyone for your input.