View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:48 PM

Got my turkey thawed out and got the neck out. Cut it into pieces about an inch and half long with my meat cleaver. Gave BB a piece after supper tonight. It was an inopportune time to give it to her because she had just had her supper. But for the short time she was at it , she ate quite a bit of the meat.

Try JD on the same amount and see how he makes out. The size in diameter doesn't mean that much - they turn their head sideways to the meat and chew into it with their molars.

All you can do is watch and see how he handles it, and make any changes necessary. like splitting the piece in half lengthwise.

I talked to the meat department people today - the manager wasn't in - and they more or less agreed with what Barkingdog suggested - that it's a way to make more $$$$.

But it seems to me that I sort of remember that the reason they remove the giblets from the bird if its fresh, is because they tend to spoil quicker than the regular meat of the bird. So if they're left in the cavity and spoil, it contaminates the bird and this can be a health problem. Birds that are slaughtered and then fast frozen can have the giblets left in, like the way we buy turkeys. But I'm still checking to find out if that's what it is.