Thread: Halti
View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

"Someone who's a trainer I talked to said that the dog would never be "truly disciplined" if I continued to use the thing"

This is true for most dogs.

Well, what I think is that if you use one of those things, it is easier on you, but you aren't really training the dog not to pull. I have used one on a dog more than half my weight, but soon I realized, if I was ever going to teach the dog not to pull, I'd have to use a choker chain.

I started training in the backyard with a number of different distractions, with the dog on the choker chain. When the dog began to lunge one way, I'd walk the other way, so he'd get a large "pop" on the leash. After a few times like this, he actualy payed attention to me, and I put him on his regular collar.

Time and efort will make a big difference. When you see your dog about to lunge, quietly walk the other way so he gets a really BIG jerk on the leash when he lunges. Try circling to get his attention when he seems to pull in the other direction. It'll all work out.

And this is funny: I saw a tiny dog not more than 10 lbs with a gentle leader on! So don't feel bad about using it in public places where you know that he will be pulling if it makes better control for you.