View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens4Ever View Post
When dealing with allergies, regardless if they're food or environmentally related, it is essential to provide routine grooming as well (which you may already do). I noticed that you have Golden Retrievers, which have a lot of grooming demands. It is absolutely vital that they get shampooed with an appropriate product to routinely cleanse the skin, get their ears cleaned regularly with an appropriate product, & get their ears, paws, skin, & bottoms trimmed routinely. Everything goes hand-in-hand like a delicate circle. If one area is lacking, then it will effect everything else within the circle.

For example, allergies can lead to yeasty ear infections. If the ears are not routinely kept cleaned & the inner ear hair is not kept trimmed, it will effect the impact of the nutritional regimen. The same applies to their skin, paws, etc.

Please refer to this article, which provides a detailed explanation of the specific grooming needs of many dogs:

http://heavenlyblessingsconsulting.com/MY_ARTICLES.html
Both Bobby and Amber get a good grooming at least every second day - I use a bristle brush, a steel comb, a shedding comb and a regular hair brush to finish off. They both get pedicures every 4 weeks at which time they get clipped by the groomer. I do their ears with Coconut Oil whenever needed - and it isn't very often. So I would say they are well groomed. Neither dog has had an ear infection - a couple of times there has been was buildup but it's taken off pretty quick so it doesn't get a chance to fester into a real infection. I don't routinely shampoo them - I don't believe in shampooing animals unless it is absolutely necessary because it removes the natural oils in their hair which they need for protection. Other than that, I'd say they are reasonably well taken care of in that department.