View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:53 PM

Boxer Rescue.... sorry if I wasn't clear... I will definetly apply at your website, I just meant that I was going to try and be more patient, and not be so aggressive about searching. Hopeing (sp??) that when the time is right, and the right dog is in need, everything will click into place!! We really would love another dog, (a brother or sister for Sheriff ) but in terms of moving as quickly as we did with Take me home (and Jack), I think we will be a little more cautious. Hope this clarifies a little
NonoBad Dog- I am concerned about the way we were dealt with by Take Me Home rescue (their petfinder address says Mississauga). After one email, which was a basic who/what/where we are "get to know us"email, we were approved for Jack (the dog we were specifically requesting after, as he was listed on petfinder). Then when we asked to meet him, we were told we couldn't and we would need to confirm adoption, and send $50 to Quebec, then pick him up at a designated time. We emailed back that we would need to talk it over, as we have another dog at home, and it would be a huge problem if the 2 did not get along... our dog is our child, and any new dog brought into our home would be our child as well. How after you adopt can you just give the dog back? For us this would be heart breaking!!
Anyway, we talked it over, and emailed them back stateing with all the info she had provided (email stateing Jack was housed in the shelter's very small office along with 4 other dogs, and a cat, and they got along great) we were willing to adopt Jack. We then got an email stateing they had "cold feet", we wern't sure if they meant us or Jack, as they provided us with the pick-up time and place. I emailed back stateing due to our professions (both emerg. service workers) we would be unable to get that specific day off without more notice. We asked if she had any suggestions, could she keep Jack for an extra day etc... We then got the following email back:
We have elected to choose an Ottawa couple, experienced with his breed. They do not have an other dog who may not accept him or cause the family to give him up. We felt that you were not truely decided or committed and this email seems to be confirming our doubts. Our adopters usually make great efforts to be free whenever their newly adopted dogs can finally be taken home.
Thank you and good luck in your search.
Francine

By the way... all these emails were within a 2 day period. So we were approved (with no home visit, and no phone call), asked questions about meeting Jack, told no, then consented to continue with adoption, agreed to by rescue, then told they "had cold feet" and where and when to pick up Jack, Unable to make the date/time they had arranged, told we were not dedicated or committed and they had doubts (all along from the sounds of their email) and we wern't flexible enough.
From the way this was handled by them I would strongly advise you take care with them. Ask lots of questions, get them to fax you a contract with their signatures etc... Take care not to be duped. I am not saying they are not on the up and up.... I just have concerns over the way the adoption of Jack has been handled, and I am little leary of them and would certainly take care not to be mislead.

PS- they called Jack 2 different names on Petfinder (Jack and Max)