View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:02 PM

Recipe for raw food for cats with chicken backs?

In another thread Love4himies wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I weigh the bones, hearts, liver, and muscle meat to ensure they are getting the proper proportions.
I was wondering where to get that information, about the ratios. I was just about to start making my first batch of raw food for my 5 cats, and I was going to follow the recipe at catorg.com, but 40 lbs of chicken thighs is $117 from the local poultry supplier. That will turn out to be between $3.50 and $4 per day to feed the cats. Not the end of the world, but it seems steep for home made food.

I know I could get chicken backs and necks for very cheap, but I don't know how to make those pieces fit into the recipe that requires 30lbs of ground chicken thighs (I have a commercial grinder, so that's not an issue). Wouldn't I have to add alot of meat to all those bones? Where do I get info on the ratios?

I should add that I have just spent 4 hours reading posts in this forum and it was very helpful. However, many people mention ratios but I haven't yet found out what those ratios are or where the info is coming from.

Does anyone use the recipe at catorg.com? If so, where do you source your chicken thighs? If you use chicken backs, do you add meat?

Thanks for any info.