View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
My first dog was a wonderful pit from the SPCA, no vet bills.

My second dog was a perfect mix free to a good home, no vet bills.

My third dog is Chopper so far no vet bills and it goes on.

To each his own but I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to not spent $800 a month in medication and someone who prefers a dog that doesn't shed too much as they have slight allergies. There are lots of dogs like that in rescue and she could be accomodated easily instead of berated.

I just have to add this, cuz I am one of the unlucky ones who does spend alot of money at the vets...we went in to the whole "dog getting" thinking the same thing...we got a "pure bred" golden, that we paid alot of money for, who has had nothing but health issues, and as she ages it will only get worse, we have spend well over $5 000 in 18 months - thats with NO surgery, thats just an infection here, kennel cough there, pulled muscles, toxic injestion, ear infects, eye infections, the list goes on, so hope and pray all you want for the perfect dog, I wish you all the luck in the world.

So I understand where Frenchy is coming from, you can't gaurentee either way if your pet will be healthy or not, especially rescueing, especially dogs from the pound - let alone from a "breeder". A person going in to this with false expectations will be sadly disappointed - we see it everyday at the shelters.

I agree - to each their own, but I have to ask - who the heck goes in to it thinking they WANT to spend $800 a month on vet bills??? No one that I know. We all want a healthy dog - but on the flip side we should expect expenses and trips to the vet, and if you can't afford it the day you get one, then you shouldnt get one. If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet. Simple as that. Sorry - I speak from experience, totally blind going in to this and paying for my mistake each and every day.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dog and will do what it takes to keep her healthy but I have gone in debt for her over and over again. Expecting to have a perfectly healthy dog is a dream...this is how dogs end up in shelters in the first place.

You are right - requests such as hypoallergenic and healthy at the time can be accomdated but not gaurenteed for even one second once that dog leave you and the adopter is very ridged in their requirments - whats going to happen if they do get sick or start shedding or have an allergy breakout? Just a question - not trying to argue.

I sure wish someone had sat me down and been real with me, if i only knew then what I know now...

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; May 1st, 2008 at 02:54 PM.