View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie View Post
just a few tricks for ticks and their removal,
1- ticks breath through their bum (yes it is true) so as soon as you find a tick put a bit of vaseline or insect spray on the ticks bum and it will soon die.
2- make sure it is dead before it is removed as it can break as you know and can poision the animal or human also i have herd of tick heads left in causing rashes etc, not nice
3- i dont know if a cat can get limes disease (i doubt it) but you certainly can but it is quite rare so remove ticks immeadiatly
and check yourself, children and animals daily.
4- use a product such as frontline (australian) that protcets from ticks, it really is worth it when it costs $10 a month compared to the $200 vet bill.

I hate ticks (grass tick not so bad it the paralysis tick i fear) so good luck
I am horrified that someone would suggest using insect spray on/anywhere near a cat. An insect spray is an insecticide which has very harmful and toxic chemicals and can cause contact dermatitis or poisoning in cats through inhalation. Bleach, deodorisers, polishes, air fresheners, floor cleaners, fly sprays and cleaning sprays will all be toxic to your cat so DO NOT USE insect sprays on ticks. The best thing is to get a tick twister tool as if your cat gets one tick it will get another for sure. Never use tweezers as the head will become detached and remain in the cat. If you cannot remove it then go to the vets. Here is a great article about what is toxic to cats - including insecticides : https://kittydirect.co.uk/cat-advice...toxic-to-cats/