View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Getting Fatter on BARF

Sadie is putting on the pounds. I could sure use some help here. First, I am a canine pushover when it comes to doggy whining. I can't stand those sad eyes, the drooling and wretched antics these canine beggars put on and I end up throwing in the proverbial biscuit ie., sliver of cheese.

We have been on BARF diets for 10 days now and I have lost pounds and Sadie has snatched them for herself. I'm just going to quickly list the facts or they will be just lost in my long winded blathering.

How I used to feed the Sade.
Kibble: Legacy by Hoizon
Protein: 34 %
Fat: 15 %
Ash & Moisture: 18%
(guess the rest is carbs)
Amount: 25-30 kibbles two times a day + 3 kibbles blackmail at bed time (Total; 53-63 daily)
Occasional scrap or piece of vegetabe.
Prognosis: Kept weight stable until a year ago when others began to feed her giving her treats behind my back or leaving stuff out that she stole; she's totally ruled by compulsion.

Stats
Original Weight on Kibble: 24-25 lb
Weight Gain: 32-34 lb
Weight on BARF: 36 lb
My weight loss on BARF: 11 lb woopie (I always pack it on at xmas time)

BARF diet: 3 day example
Day 1
Breakfast: 1 chicken neck; 1 chicken foot; 1 tsp flax oil;
Supper: beef bone with some meat on it; medium carrot (1 min in Mic.); 1/4 apple
Bed Bribe: 3 Nickel sized dog vits; apple core nix the seeds.

Day 2
Breakfast: 1/2 chicken carcass (quite a bit of meat on it actually) 1 tsp flax oil; 1 tsp psylium
Supper: beef bone with some meat on it; handful broccoli (1 min in Mic.); 1/4 apple

Day 3
Breakfast: 1 HB egg + 100g AA-1 Tin Sardines in hot tomato sauce; 2 T yoghourt plain; 1 tsp flax oil; 1 tsp lecithin
Supper: beef bone with some meat on it; medium carrot (1 min in Mic.); 1/4 apple

Exercise
Sadie is not getting much exercise since she pulled a muscle but I do take her out for a walk to the alley way and back twice a day. She also is let out do pay the neighbour her doos three or four times a day.

Sometimes I substitute 4 oz raw salmon or white fish with skin (though I have to salt the white fish for her to eat it.)

I thought she would lose weight on a protein fat diet. (I know there is a lot of fat in the bone marrow. The carcass, necks and foot are negligible.

Cutbacks
I'm going to be giving her only one or the other of the chicken foot/neck combo; but the chicken carcasses into 3s so she gets 1/3; and skip the evening apple.

What more can I do? Should I cut her back to 3 meals over two days.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Namaste,
mhikl

Last edited by mhikl; January 13th, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: clarity