Thread: Free Shaping
View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Free Shaping

I've read about free shaping but hadn't really seriously tried it. I think I first read about it in "When Pigs Fly". So tonight, I brought one dog at a time into the training room and gave it a whirl.

I just stood there with some food behind my back and let them give me what they wanted. I couldn't believe how quickly they got the concept!!!

While i did do a BIT of directing after I decided what i was going to teach them, they quickly learned. I taught one dog to roll over in 15 minutes. And it would have been quicker if I had a) a plan b) been clicking at the correct time. At first i wasn't breaking it down into small enough pieces but once i figured that out..she was rolling over in no time.

At first they sat, then they laid down, then threw themselves down..whined...barked...tried sitting/laying down at various angles around me. Tried backing off. Tried backing off while lying down..it was funny to watch them.

I taught the other two dogs "go sniff" in the same amount of time. It was sooo cool to see the light go on!!!