View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
well first... most raw feeders say to deep-freeze venison for a few days to kill any parasites in the meat (wild meat, in general, is supposed to follow this guideline) so if you want to continue feeding raw wild game, you should do this first "just in case"
Oops, I'll remember that. Everyone I've known feeds meat and stuff directly off the animal with no problems, so I had no idea. The rest of the meat and bones (except for the stuff to be cooked) is frozen right now so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
second, it's perfectly ok to feed raw, boneless meat with kibble (same meal) although you might need to add a digestive enzyme since not all dogs have an easy time digesting the two together. if you want to feed kibble for one meal, and then raw for the 2nd meal, then it's ok to feed raw meat with bones
That's good to know. We fed Royce the bones and meat this morning, then his kibble for dinner and he seems just great at the moment.

Quote:
Note: Venison is a rich meat, which may explain Walnut's vomiting. If you want to try again, try a 24-hour fast first to completely empty the GI tract out, then start with an easy protein such as skinless chicken legs, or just raw chicken. you might be pleasantly surprised, just ask some of the raw-feeders here on their "conversion" experiences
:sad: That's what's weird, the portion she ate didn't even contain much meat. The rib bone just had the tiny amount of meat that most ribs have, and the shank had just about all the meat cut off of it, I just gave it to her to chew mostly. On the up side, she didn't throw up any large pieces of bone, it all looked well digested, so I don't know.

Quote:
some butchers will grind up soft bones (poultry), some won't... as a general rule though, it's the thick weight-bearing bones that aren't consumable and are to be used as recreational bones only (pork, goat, cow, deer, etc). a lab-sized dog can eat a whole small chicken in one meal, no problem, from head to tail
Hmmm, I was thinking neck bone and stuff, but I guess that's not grindable. The rib bones are already pretty soft and and that's the only one I allowed them to actually eat. They're not like beef rib bones, they're pretty skinny and bendable. They both chewed it really well so I think it's ok.

What abone the meat/bone ratio, how much bone should I let him eat? I'm deathly afraid I'll feed too much bone (even though I just gave one small rib) and he'll get really constipated, or I'll feed not enough bone. Or are bones even necessary for anything besides chewing? I heard meat contains most of the necessary nutrients and very little bone if any at all is needed. Like I said though, my raw knowledge is almost nonexistant.