View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by merroo View Post
My dog is a welsh pembroke x wire hair fox terrier
And he's low energy . I guess there is an exception to every rule . What was he eating prior to the switch to raw? You may notice his energy levels pick up as he adjusts to the raw and might have to add another 30+ minutes to his walks.

Quote:
He didn't seem to like the liver, he brought it out of his bowl into his special place, licked it and walked away.
You can try searing it lightly in a frying pan to get him used to the flavor.

Quote:
Although I heard that if you do feed organs you should freeze them for a few months to kill any bacteria, would you know if that's true?
If it's fresh human grade from a butcher or a poultry shop, I often feed fresh organs without freezing and haven't run into any problems in over 3 years. I think it's parasites rather than bacteria you would be killing by deep freezing for 30+ days. Again, if the meat you're feeding is human grade, parasites shouldn't be a worry.

Quote:
what's the difference between green and white tripe? Is green tripe typically hard to find?
White tripe has been emptied of it's contents and has been bleached ie. safe for human consumption. In Quebec, raw green tripe is illegal to sell to the general public. I can only find the cooked canned varieties (eg. Trippet). You might be able to get some through cattle farmers in your area. Some pet supply stores also sell it raw-frozen. I haven't been able to locate any here.

Quote:
Is it normal for the bowel movements to be slightly softer than usual for the first little bit?
Perfectly normal unless it's explosive foul smelling diarrhea (could be he's not tolerating the meat source). Once he's adjusted well to raw and if it goes on for a few days you can 1. increase the bone content by a little bit, 2. decrease the organ content by a little bit 3. offer him a tablespoon or two of plain organic yogurt between meals.

Quote:
I still need to find a butcher! Right now we're just doing what the grocery store has. Edmonton doesn't seem to have too many.
Here's a list of some that may be close-by. http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/...etail/Edmonton

Here is also a list of Aberta meat suppliers where you can buy in bulk most likely much cheaper than a grocery store or butcher's. Scroll down to Alberta.

http://lepusreg.tripod.com/NRS1a.html