View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwww, gee you guys!! Thanks so very much for the good wishes!!!

I am still in La tho I will be coming home soon - which is more than the people here can say. I have to admit that as "battle hardened" as I assumed I was after my many experiences overseas, the fact is what I saw on TV before I left was so sanitized!! And now there is yet another hurricane to contend with!

I'll write more about it later - so many young children with cancer who had to flee their homes and now lack medical records (a good argument for more electronic recordsd!!) so we are figuring out the proper protocols!! Some children are also without their doctors who are elsewhere and some without parents so it is chaotic to say the least. It is much improved this week than last tho - parents have been located, doctors discovered and help has come from around North America.

It is heartbreaking to see so mamy lost pets and for the recod, I cannot understand why anyone would leave their animals behind. It is like leaving your child there to fend for him or herself!! Everyone needs a disaster plan and I say this as someone who survived hurricane Juan! I know some people lack vehicles but that means ensuring cities consider pets in their plans - and that people without vehicles have a backup plan themselves. Even if they have to do it collectively by lobbying govt to pass laws and so forth,

Anyway, that's my mini rant today.

Again, thx so much for the good wishes. I do not feel any older, lol - and the staff here at St. Jude's (it is an affiliate of the main St. Jude's in Memphis) had a surprise party for me this AM. A cake, some Boston Bakes beans and Hawaiian Punch - it was great!!

Take care everyone!!