View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I realize I'm a bit late coming into this conversation, so bear with me if I rehash some old points.

I think BenMax made a very important point, it is IMPERATIVE to meet and deal with other trainers who use a variety of methods before we come to conclusion that one-way is the best way. Not only do I think that this makes us the best possible owners for our dogs, but it also keeps us open-minded in remembering that just because someone says/does something to their pet, does not mean it is the best way.

I personally learned so much from Brad Pattison and am extremley grateful for everything that he taught me. I really don't think that I would be the kind of dedicated trainer I am today, if it hadn't been for his energy and passion.

However. With that said, I don't use many of the methods that Brad does, simply because through my own experience and education I have found other methods that I believe to be far more effective, faster, and better for the dog in question. I'm not saying Pattisons methods don't work, or that they aren't safe; and I have NEVER seen Brad hurt a dog - despite the uncomfortable feeling people get when watching a video of his corrections - Lynne is right, I don't feel it's fair to judge someone based on a 30 second video - to do so is simply iggnorant of time allowance, and the fact that we are not there in person to judge the actions.

BUT. I would never put a potentially aggressive (or anxious) dog into a situation with a group of other un-trained, unpredictable dogs. Dogs instigate one another, be it through eye contact or body language. I personally never have group classes more than five dogs, and only after an assessment are they allowed to join the class. I once participated in a class of Brads that held over 30 dogs and even more people, which honestly opened my eyes a bit to the fact that while I love and adore Brad...I do feel that he has become caught up with fame and fortune.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)