View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Right now we are in the baby gated bedroom. Toothy is sleeping under the desk. Do you mean that Toothy should be in the crate?

It's big enough for toys and a Training pad...it's about the size of an average walk in closet.

Many people, when they leave home, confine their new dog to the yard, a bathroom, kitchen, or a laundry room. This is counterproductive for many reasons. Fiist, the dog is not used to spending time in that place. It is filled with unfamiliar and uncomfortable smells. They do not associate you with that room, but rather the fact that you are leaving. This may lead to separation anxiety in the future. What type of floor is in there? Is it slippery making him uncomfortable? Also, the environment is much too large to create the “den” environment that dogs need to feel comfortable. Lastly, these places are seldom where you are when you’re home, therefore
the dog will not willingly go there and use that as a “safe place” when they are nervous.

I meant put him in the crate when you are not home. Or when you can't watch him properly. I am saying that the closet is too big for him.

I do want to take Toothy out for exercise ...if I take her down to the river where she can run freely ....she takes off and then I have to find her. Which is a problem when it's -25C.

I also fear that she will run out onto the loose ice and fall in. I'm not sure if she has enough sense to be careful.

I also like the river valley because really she can only go so far ...up and down the embankment so I would always find her at some point. Do you have any idea how I would get her to return to me ????

Take him for long walks. I would never let a dog off leash until I have 110% total recall of him.

We will go for Obedience classes. Probably around the end of January. Same for spaying. Sadly the SPCA here doesn't do spaying. I've taken all my other dogs
to Obedience Training but they were different than Toothy.

Even before the classes I taught them tricks and some basic rules. Roll Over, Find My Keys ...Put Your Toys
Away ....but Toothy...I can't even get her to come when I call her. Not for toys, not for ham ...not for anything.

I tell all my adoptive families to go for obedience class. Some people say but I've already done that with my other dogs. If you find a good trainer and a good class they will be able to address specific problems that are specific to that dog. Also its a great bonding experience for you and your dog. I have 3 dogs and all of them we have done obedience with. Even though I work with many dogs I still do it with my own. It never hurts to have more good education.

What I mean by creating boundaries is just as simple as not getting on the furniture. Making him work for everything he wants.

Keep him on a short leash in the house so that he can drag it around. This way if anything happens you can easily grab the leash and do the correction. Do not grab his collar as this is confrontational and could cause him to bite. Do not let him up on the furniture. Dogs that bite should not sit on couches or sleep on our beds. I'm not sure if you are doing this with him already or not, but he needs to have strict boundaries.

I had a very similar problem with my boy Han that we adopted in Sept. He was fine with us for about 3 weeks and then my husband went away on a business trip. Han figured that he was in charge of me since DH was gone. Whenever I asked him to do something he didn't want to do he would bite me. For example we were going out for a walk and he was laying down. I asked him to stand to put on his harness. I tried coaxing him to come and got a toy and everything to tempt him. Nothing! So me not even thinking went and grabbed the top of his collar and he bit me in the hand. Another time he was laying on my bed and I asked him to get off so I could get in. He refused. So I started to open up the blankets to attempt to get in anyhow and he bit me again. I realized that I wasn't creating enough rules and boundaries for him and he didn't see me as the pack leader. So I had begun to be very strict with him. I followed the No Free Lunch method to a T. I kept up with it for about 1 month and he really responded well to it. You might need longer....all dogs are different. Our relationship is alot different now and he has stopped biting me. He views me as the leader. Usually dogs in packs will nip or bite other pack members to show to them that they are more dominant.

If you want to do some research online some people also refer to it as Nothing in Life is Free. Its not about being physical with the dog...in fact its totally handsoff but just showing him who is in charge of things. For example; always make him sit before you feed him his food or give him a treat. If he comes to you and paws you for a petting don't pet him. Make him sit first and then pet. He needs to work for everything that he wants.

Toys in Crate:

Yes Kongs are fantastic in the crate. I stuff it full of things. Peanut butter, doggie treats, kibble, bits of chicken, rice yogurt, bannanas. I freeze it overnight and then give it to him in the crate. Keeps them occupied for hours. I do not give rawhide at all. They can choke easily and if you put it in the crate and leave him unattended your asking for trouble. Certain toys are okay. I don't put toys in that can be destroyed and parts can be swallowed. Kongs and tough rubber toys like that are fine.

I know that there are alot of different opinions here on Cesar Milan. I am not trying to open that can of worms nor am I trying to say he is good or bad.......but I do tell my families to not use the methods that they see on tv shows. Only because each dog is different and responds differently. Seeking the advice of a qualified professional dog trainer in person is a better method.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca