View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Another update on my dog. She has a lot of discharge out of her right nostril, she'll get a bloody nose here and there, and is starting to get a bump on the top of her nose. But most importantly, nine months after being diagnosed with a nasal tumor...she's still with me. I never thought she would make it this long.

I highly recommend giving a dog diagnosed with a nasal tumor NSAID. Mine takes deramaxx. As my vet says, there are studies that show NSAID might slow the progession of the tumor and/or shrink it. If it doesn't do either, the one thing it does do is give the dog pain relief and an appetite.

From morning to night she's two different dogs. Every morning she looks like this is it....then by late afternoon she's back to being a little rascal. The only problem I have is trying to get her to eat mid-morning to give her the pill. Right now, the best thing working for her is mashed potatoes with cheese!!

This is from WSU Veterinary school....

Quote:
An exciting and simple treatment of cancer is the class of drugs previously known as NSAID’s but now more commonly referred to as COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitors. Nearly any NSAID has the ability to benefit any cancer patient through immune modulatory, pro-apoptotic, and anti-angiogenic effects, not to mention pain control. These drugs also act through suppression of cyclo-oxygenase (COX) 2. Many tumors, predominately carcinomas, have upregulated COX-2 and blocking the enzyme can help with tumor control. Piroxicam has been the drug most researched clinically, but theoretically any of the newer NSAID’s with greater specificity for COX-2 could give equal or better effects. Never underestimate the power of these drugs. The use of COX-2 inhibitors is one of the hottest areas of cancer research going at the moment and the whole thing started with an accidental discovery in dogs.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsOncology/vets/new.aspx