View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Please Help!

I am new to this forum. I have a 16 year old cat with was just diagnosed with renal disease. She has a very mild case. The vet recommended Purina NF, but since this happened, I have been doing research on food ingredients in cat food and I am unhappy with what Purina contains. I have tried contacting wellness and blue buffalo to see what they have for low phosphorus food but upon learning that I have a cat with renal disease, they refuse to give me any information and say I should contact my vet. I contacted my vet who would only recommend what they have on their shelf, which if Science Diet (Which I will never feed) and Purina. I have fed my cats nothing but dry food (and canned food for a treat once in a while) for their entire lives, only to find out that it should have been the other way around. I am starting pretty much from scratch and I don't know what to do. I don't want to feed her a poor diet, she has already lost almost 4 pounds in the last year and a half, and thats mostly muscle, she has been having problems jumping or even if she tries to run, her back end can't keep up with her. I hate to see her decline and I want to put her on a nutritous food that will keep all her levels where they should be but also help her get to a healthy muscle mass. I know she is supposed to have low phosphorus levels, but I don't know how to go about calculating how much she should have or what she shouldn't have. I have read that I should stay away from fish products, and that chicken or turkey is the best. I am already feeding her an all wet canned food diet (which she prefers). If someone could help me to figure out what would be the best for me to feed her, I would greatly appreciate the help. When the vet turned me away I was in tears because I feel helpless. I don't want to see my best friend waste away. Please Help!