View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I am currently dealing with a foster dog at this time with some serious aggression issues as well. It is unprovoked, no triggers and therefore no way to address at this time. He has displayed some very troubling behaviour which through my journal enteries, I cannot detect how, or why. For me, it's not a question of guarding or territoral issues. He can go from being the most loving, affectionate sweet dog into a raving vicious animal within seconds. He then recovers and is remorseful...very disturbing.

What I have done now is I brought the dog to our vet for a full vet check with blood work up. Hopefully, (or not hopefully) I will find out if there is something medically wrong.

Ask you vet to do a full blood work on organs such as liver, kidneys. Check for a possible seizure disorder and hypothyroidism. Also ensure that there are no worms such as hook worms, giardia or coccidia. Infact, have the fecal completely analyzed.

Just so that you know, I have had now 79 foster dogs. All my own animals have been adopted through a rescue or shelter. This is the first time in all these years that I have been faced with a very extreme case. This situation that I am in with this particular dog, is not a norm.

Whatever you do however, it is best to consult with those where you got the dog from. They may provide some great tips and/or a more of a background check on if this has ever happened before.

This is not saying that you and I are living the same scenario, but perhaps the process of elimination starts with a full medical and blood work.

Sorry you are going through this.