Thread: Designer Breeds
View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Resident Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
And why must some breeds have cosmetic surgery to meet the standards of the breed? Dobies, for example.
The standards were written way back when the breed actually worked.
Don't open up Pandora's box, Vets refuse to crop ears, but will declaw a cat. Am I the only one who sees the hypocrisy in this? Oh right, one is cosmetic, the other is outright mutilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrescue
MANY bomb sniffing/drug detection etc dogs come from shelters and pounds. The parentage or breed is not important as drive and determination are paramount, along with good temperament.
I was under the impression that, bomb/drug sniffing dogs began training at the age of 8 weeks, and that parentage is paramount for selection. Have I been misinformed?

Quote:
and even human aggression if the dog is a winner in conformation or performance. I saw this myself recently when a (gasp!) Golden Retriever savagely attacked it's handler for no reason and continued with the showing while the handler went to the emergency room.
From what I've just read, aggression toward other dogs is acceptable, and aggression toward humans is cause for dismissal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll1
You're right.And you can get dogs with papers in rescue,as well as purebred puppies.I don't see any need to go to a breeder.The worst of course are those who's breed are killed in shelters all the time.People who go to breeders for those dogs make me ill.
*bows head in shame* I've seen very few Doberman's in shelters and rescues. You want to know what makes me sick? People who sit around and whine about pet overpopulation and don't have the cahonas to do diddly about it. You're preaching to the pervert pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
No we are not breeders.So you can stop scratching your head.
*smiles*, just bought a flea collar.

Quote:
You know for a fact that these dogs were bred and discarded by MIRA? If Mira is breeding and dumping puppies at shelters, they are no better than any other backyard breeder and should be regarded as such. Many breeds can be used as service and guide dogs, and there is no reason to be breeding for this, as the odds of getting suitable puppies by breeding is no better than pulling dogs from shelters and training them for this work.

I don't really care who's dumping the dogs, the fact is they are getting dumped, and they are the 'Mira Dog'. They are being pawned off as purebred dogs, sad but true.

Note:3. Any dog exhibiting an aggressive attitude that in the judges' opinion would prevent them from FULLY examining any given dog safely, and without incident, shall be disqualified from all events conducted that day. This same dog shall be crated for the remainder of the day, or be removed from the premises of the show site. There will be no refunds of entry fees for dogs that are disqualified.

I found this clause in every instance under 'Dog show rules'.

Dar.

PS: The French ring is a more vigorous test on K9/protection dogs than the shutzhund, this came straight from several trainers that I met. The Belgian Malinois has also become the dog du jour.