View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:54 PM

cat with early kidney disease

Hi, just joined this site, and can't find an existing thread on this issue, so am starting one. My kitty is a 16 year old rescue cat (adopted with her sister when they were about 3 months old), so has always been with me. She was diagnosed with early stage CRF about 6 months ago, and has been doing amazingly well so far and is stable, which I'm so thankful for. of course, I have the big problem that all owners of CRF cats have, which is tempting her to eat when she's not feeling well and has no appetite.
I do my best and have my ways! However, for canned food she will only eat pate-type. If the food is in chunks or bits with broth or gravy, she just licks up all the juicy stuff and refuses to eat the solid bits. The problem is most canned cat foods now are in bits and gravy so my choices are severely restricted, since I also have to choose ones that are low in phosphorous and salt, and somewhat low-ish in protein. Such information is almost impossible to find, and I'm wondering if anybody out there has some brand names that could work. I'd be happy to give more info about what I'm using now, and whatever else.
Thanks so much for any input!
Rosebud's mom