View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
chronically insane.

I'm sorry, I'm not at all trying to scare you. You are just NEVER supposed to give NSAIDS to an animal that is having any sort of GI symptoms, especially with cats because it can kill them in a matter of a day or two. I mean you really need to follow up with your vet, but I just know from experience that post-op pain meds that are sent home with patients often cause more harm than good This applies for spays and neuters.. for other types of surgeries it's a different story I don't need to get into right now.

I mean, could you imagine being sick to your stomach and going and taking a big ol' ibuprofen? You'd probably feel like crap too!

Metacam is not a sedative, it is an NSAID that the use of in cats is highly controversial and that is why the oral version (which your kitty is not taking luckily) has a new black box warning on it strictly prohibiting it for use in cats.

Let's put it this way-
The one vet I usually work with keeps pain meds to a minimum and instead relies on minimally invasive procedures and does the surgeries as quickly as safely possible. These animals do AMAZING and are happy and healthy, usually feeling like nothing happened at the end of the day and by the next day they don't remember a thing.

Another vet I used to work with insisted on loading animals up with (incorrect) doses of pain meds for an extreme amount of time. This vet's surgeries were more invasive and lasted longer. These animals awoke SCREAMING in pain, often to the point I was sooo uncomfortable I had to leave the room. They would scream and scream and he would just assure us that the pain meds were "doing their job". These animals would often get quite sickly with GI problems. We've had atleast 1 that died of Acute Renal Failure 2 weeks after being spayed and receiving 4 days of Metacam.

Now if you had a choice, would you prefer to have a minimally invasive procedure that made you a bit uncomfortable for a few hours with no pain meds, or be cut up and sent home on pain meds that made you wanna barf your brains out?

I'm sure the hospital you went to would not purposely try and do something to harm your kitty! I am just speaking in general out of experience. I am just saying that kittens can easily die from diarrhea and in your post-op instructions you should have been given instructions to discontinue medications if diarrhea or vomiting occurs and probably even an emergency phone line to be able to call. I know for all of our meds, NSAIDS or not, this is one of the main warning we tell people. And for the shelter we have a 24 hour emergency cell phone line so that we can be reached all the times for situations like yours Things are done differently in other places though, so while this is routine where I am I cannot speak for everyone where you are.

The cloudiness of her eyes has me worried as well. They may not have applied eye lubricant during her surgery which is not good. Cat's don't usually close their eyes during surgery depending on the anesthesia used, so we put in artificial tears to keep their eyes moist. It's even on the anesthesia instructions to do so as damage to the eye can occur if you don't. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's a possibility, so that is something I would have checked out as well. The pupil dilation things you are describing do not sound normal this many days post op. Usually by 5-10 hours post surgery the pupils should be returned to normal. I know that if I saw a cat the day after surgery and it's eyes were still dilated or looked funny I would be bringing that cat to see the vet ASAP.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009