Thread: Prey Drive!
View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Even if my dog didn't have a strong prey drive, i wouldn't let her play with the bird. She's far too clumsy. It's really endearing!

My dog does not respond well to punishment or negativity of ANY kind. So to train her i show her the things that are good to do and she tends to do just that. I've had incredible success with praise and love... Even catching her in the act, and scolding right then and there did nothing. I could only redirect and praise like hell. She LOVES it. So i do it whenever she does ANYTHING good... It's gained so much respect from her toward me it's great.

So I've already made progress with stay and leave it, just after a few days. She still drools when looking at the bird, but i was able to have him on my shoulder for a short period while walking around the house... She got really excited and couldn't hold it anymore so we had to end quickly. But i think she will realize that the bird is mine an that she isn't allowed to hurt it.

In fact it's funny, i have stuffed animals that she sometimes steals from me... But she only takes them and puts them in her bed or on my bed and sleeps by them. Only until i say "ok" does she actually play with them and chews them... So i think if i establish the ownership of the bird that she will have more respect for it.

Thanks for your advice!