View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
We are both in our mid 60's, are basically home people who go shopping a couple of times a week and other than the occasional walk are here in our condo the rest of the time. We are looking for a small dog, no more than 15-20 pounds, enjoys playing with toys, does not bark a lot and is easy to train. We have a list already of 5-6 dogs but are curious as to what others might suggest.
As was mentioned earlier, I, too, vote older dog. Not only you are older yourself, you live in a condo.. housetraining a puppy will be a tremendous undertaking physically as well as mentally. Owning a puppy is like having a baby: accidents, chewing etc... And while the joy of owning a puppy is quite irresistible, I am sure you will get quite fed up with having to constantly clean up after one.

BenMax is very right. You need to also ask yourself what it is you can GIVE a dog, rather than just what it is YOU want. That is how pets end up in shelters over and over again, is when people suddenly realize they can't handle the dog.
In response to your breed question: your requirements are really more of a temperament rather than a breed...You could have a perfect quiet little poodle, or a yappy one that will drive you and your neighbours nuts.. You should really aim for the character and the temperament of the dog, rather than breed. However, having said that, some breeds are more hyper than others, for instance Jack Russell terriers, they are just a ball of neverending energy, and while this can be cute for a while, this dog will get bored if not stimulated physically AND mentally, and will find ways to entertain itself...You would not believe the amount of destruction that can be caused by a bored Jack Russell, I speak from a personal experience...

To summarize, I think you should work with a rescue, to match you with a dog that is perfect for you AND your lifestyle. Have a few breeds in mind and look for one that will connect with you...
Good Luck