View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Puppy "Temper Tantrums"

Once again, looking for some information and input from all you experienced dog owners out there.

Lately, I've noticed that Keely (our 2 pound, 10 week mixed breed puppy) has, well, what could be described as "temper tantrums."

Sometimes when we pick her up or hold her collar to attach the leash, she growls and occasionally will nip at us. Other times, she is perfectly calm when being picked up. I haven't really been able to determine exactly what causes her to get upset, but I'm assuming that sometimes she just doesn't want to be held? Unfortunately for her, I am the boss in this household! Hahaha.

We are going to puppy training classes with her and I will be mentioning this to the trainer when we go next time, but since class is canceled this week, I figured I would try to get some advice on here in the meantime.

We have been doing the "massages" with her every second day - holding a treat in front of her and then touching her ears, back, tail, etc. Trying to get her used to being picked up and handled. She seems to be doing better, but any other ideas or suggestions would be welcomed!

I'm trying just to stay calm when this happens and ignore it. But I'm not sure if this is the best response? Should I be correcting her in some way?

We have tried the 20 second time-out in the bathroom, as suggested by our trainer, but I will admit that we haven't been consistent with this because we wanted to ask the trainer again if this is the right response for this particular problem. It seems to calm her down, nonetheless.

Okay, this is getting long. Thanks in advance!