View Single Post
  #62  
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
MyBirdIsEvil's Avatar
MyBirdIsEvil MyBirdIsEvil is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As for venom in colubrids, I remember reading somewhere, though I can't remember where, that there have been occasional cases of children getting bit while feeding their snakes that resulted in swelling of the hand and arm and the kids feeling ill--all of which points to some sort of substance being secreted by the snake, whether it be venom or just something that causes some sort of an allergic reaction. I've never seen any study that proved the venom theory or analyzed the substance, though
Considering how few cases there must be of that, I'd assume it's more likely to be an allergic reaction to the saliva.
The other option is that a bacterial infection was present after the bite, which could definitely cause the symptoms described.

Quote:
I wish I had known all of this years ago I was offered a trio of breeding HN, very fancy colors (high red coloration, can't recall the name right now, not "albino"). I refused, thinking they were hots Well at least now I know
Yup, they're harmless. Not only that, but very docile and easy to keep.
Reply With Quote