View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
I am sorry for everything that you and Buddy have had to go through the last few days.

I know there is some concern as to what went wrong and whether it was the vet's fault. Without being able to see neither Buddy nor his chart (and not having been there) it is impossible to say. I will however give you my observations from what I see. Short answer: Such complications can occur under the best of circumstances.

Let's start with what is normal or at least common.
1) The scrotal hematoma is not an uncommon complication in adult dogs. Most dogs do not have this occur but some dogs appear predisposed to it. Luckily, time will take care of it. Cold compresses help.
2) The prescrotal incision in the picture appears consistent with a reclosure of an incisional site. The edges are not aligned or perfect, but when the incision has come open and needs to be reclosed - this is how it will look.

What is not common.
1) The prolonged recovery is unusual. Most dogs are fairly "normal" the next day and our biggest problem is usually keeping them from bouncing off the walls like normal. With that said, some dogs have a more difficult time with anesthesia than others. This unfortunately occurs can happen no matter who the vet is.
2) Fees 50% or less than other vets. Quality medications, surgical supplies, equipment, etc. costs money. "A cook can only be as good as his ingredients." There are many possible legitimate reasons but that is a drastic difference.

A couple of questions:
1) Was an IV catheter used to provide fluids to Buddy throughout both procedures?
2) Was pre or post anesthetic blood work performed?

I hope that this experience with Buddy does not steer you away from neutering another dog. Buddy's experiences are not typical. These type of complications can occur with cats too. It is important to remember that these complications (prolonged recovery, hematomas, second surgeries,etc.) are not likely and usually do not happen all together. All of these complications do happen with all vets and sometimes in combination - the key is to keep them as rare occurrences. If you have more information, I will be happy to look at it.

I am glad that Buddy is feeling better. Keep us posted.
Buddy is totally back to normal, but really hates the cone we still keep around him. We are not going to remove it as a precaution until its time to have the stitches removed. The last thing I want is a repeat of what he did the first time.

A little history of Buddy. We adopted him when he was 8 months old. He is a Golden Labrador/Hound mix (and boy oh boy... does that hound part come out... he's a talker! lol) He was a rescued/abused dog. He was so bad, that for the first 3 months we had him, we had to have him medicated for anxiety. You couldn't move, close a drawer, anything without him freaking out. His tail was always tucked between his legs, and his hears were always pulled down as he carried his head like he did something bad. He wouldn't walk on a leash, and I had to carry him up and down my stairs to my yard to do "his business", and that was ONLY if there were no children/cars/people out. Anyone outside, and he would freak out. The meds worked that (this same vet) gave him.

I know I had signed the contract to have him neutured, and if it were not for this issue, I would have done it earlier. But I was not about to do something to him when he still had security issues. We wanted to make sure he felt safe, and knew we would never leave him. It took almost a year with us (a year this mid June) before we felt we could proceed with him getting fixed. His world is really only my husband, me and our cats. He has come to accept, as long as one of us are in sight, others that come to our home. He is never far away from one of us. He also a "late bloomer" in my opinion, as his "puppieness" is just coming to head.

We do not know the extent of his abuse, but it was, and still is a long road to walk. I do not know if this has compounded this issue or not. He has become a very loving dog, trustful of only my husband and myself, is becoming social with other dogs (my cats beat him up for being too rough) but he keeps going back for more.. Loves my little wenchette cat, and she will never hesitate to put him in his place when he is misbehaving.

He is back to his talkative (argumentative when it comes to me.. very pushy he is..) self, happy to see us, and just being his old self. It has definately been one heckava experience, one that I will definately have to think about should the situation ever present itself again...

I thank you Dr. Lee for chiming in, and you have totally relieved any leftover stress/worries both my husband and I were having. You offer such a valuable service here, and I can see that you are very appreciated for your effort here. Please keep this going, as this kind of forum is about the only place many seeking answers will turn to. Your service here cannot be valued more. Thank you.
Julz