View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM

Feline Leukemia please help

Hi My cat is a month shy away from 3 years old and when he was 8 months old he was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia. He has had 3 major infections as a result of being immuno suppresed but recovered fine. He now has an infection that is making his body attack his red blood cells causing hime to become very anemic (His blood is down to 10%) The vet put him on a very high dose of prednisone and sent us home. The vet said he wants to try this medicine but is not sure if the cat is going to make it or not. He has now had 3 full days of both medicines and there is no sign of improvement. My cat is so weak he can barely move if he does he falls down. He is not drinking and barely eating (Wet cat food so he will get some water) Now he hides all day long does not want to be touched or talked to and is vomitting. I love my cat but fear he is getting worse and suffering. I feel putting him down would be the sensible solution but my veterinarian thinks we should wait a couple more days because he feels it is too soon to tell if the medicine is working or not. How much more should I let my cat suffer. I want him to die peacfully and with some dignity, not in pain and coverd in feces and vomit. It is very hard for my family and myself to watch our beloved pet go through something so rough. I have never lost a pet before so I want to make sure I am not jumping the gun on having him euthanised but I also do not want him to suffer anymore

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated