View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievalMan View Post
Hi,

I read your post and feel really horrible for you. I am away from home right now and just want to give my dogs a big hug and maybe a nice walk

My dad mentioned to me that the neighbour a few houses down laid rat poison out... so it's not impossible that it got to our yard somehow (whether through dead/dying rat or otherwise).

The yard is being searched, and it'll prob. be a little while for the toxicology.

Sincerely,

Matt
Can you guys find out what kind of poison the neighbor used? Different poisons cause different symptoms. Some poisons are unlikely to cause fatalities with secondary consumption unless they eat a large animal that has consumed a lot.

Either way, neighbors should be informed that putting rat poisons out is a potential danger for neighborhood pets. If there is a rat problem it is best to use traps in the home, and live traps outside, not poisons, for the safety of pets and native wildlife.

Quote:
You may be telling me something I don't know, MyBirdIsEvil, I didn't know it was used here in Oz for rodents, but it is used for fox baiting. If they lay it in the forest opposite our place they notify everyone so they can keep their pets locked up, but still two neighbors lost wandering sheep dogs that ate some.
I'm not sure how extensively it is used for rodents. I'm going by what I read on a bunch of websites, because most of the information I could get on poison 1080 was from australian websites since it is a highly controlled substance here and not used often. The only thing it is supposed to be used here for (as far as I know) are sheep collars. They put it in the collar of the sheep so if a coyote bites them on the neck they will die.
It's a really nasty poison and will kill wildlife that consumes the carcass of the poisoned animal, especially scavengers. It is especially toxic to canines. It is less likely to effect cats because they don't often eat already dead prey. Even after the animal decays it is still present in potentially fatal amounts where the animal died. It is also present still in the vomit of the poisoned animal, so if something consumes the vomit they can die.

It is a really nasty poison, and after reading about it I don't agree with its use at all. This is a really really cruel way to kill anything since it causes extremely painful seizures and convulsions that potentially last for a couple of hrs. The poisoning starts out making the animal really disoriented and they will run around vocalizing constantly for no reason and be in pain. Then the convulsions and muscle seizures start. I can't imagine any more painful way to die, and I wouldn't wish it on any animal.