View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, had a busy day. Okay, first off, that dog had no health issue that could have caused his appalling coat. He was bred by a top breeder/exhibitor/judge here who has been involved solely with this breed for more than 30 years, importing dogs from England and breeding heaps of Ch's. Point I was making is that she, like so many of you, thought highly of raw food diets. The dry food she used was not cheap, far from it, and by the way, I DO consider her an expert, so for a while followed the diet she suggested. Another point I was making, it will not suit EVERY dog. Ben hated it, it did him no good, the dirty brown dry food gave him dirty brown stains on his teeth that could not be shifted and his previous owner would have tried everything to try and get the dog looking good, because he did want to win with him. I know the breeder would not have parted with him the second time if she could have got his coat right but maybe she was just too set in her ways to experiment, who knows? I thought it was a dietary problem all along, I just knew I could turn the ugly duckling into a swan so imagine how annoyed I was when another top breeder/exhibitor tried telling me that the coat was a product of his breeding, that when you double up on such and such a dog in a pedigree you get bad coats. I just told her to give the dog a chance, I'd only had him one day at that stage. I'm not going into what made the coat bad, or what I fed to have him looking so beautiful, I just thought this was a classic case of raw food having a detrimental effect.
And bones? Well, if you show dogs you want them to have full dentition. I have watched one of my bitches actually pull out a premolar that became stuck in a bone. The friend who bred my red cattle dog had his brother bleeding all over her patio after that dog damaged inside his throat with a piece of bone. My boy nearly choked to death on a piece. My childhood dog got an impaction from eating bones. A blue cattle dog from the past got hold of a rabbit that cats must have killed and ate it, then later vomited up the most horrifying splintered, jagged bones, I was so glad she did that. Time proved that she just couldn't eat rabbit whether it was raw or cooked(and off the bone), it always made her vomit.(thank heaven) Regardless of my experiences with troublesome bones, I was surprised when my vet's receptionist told me that vets at that clinic I go to hate dogs being fed bones, maybe I should ask my vet what's the worst he's seen? I never have this attitude that "It won't happen to my dog", I think it's better to be safe than sorry. I use a scaler on my dogs' teeth.
MyBirdIsEvil, there is no way known my dogs get groomed every day and I have NEVER had a hot spot on a sheltie. My sister has. I asked my mentor about that problem and she said it usually occurs if shelties aren't dried thoroughly after being bathed, and hey, I blow dry mine and make sure there isn't a damp spot anywhere, and my sister doesn't. Could your Collie have got damp under that matt on his rump?