View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Must admit my vets here hate people feeding bones to their dogs, they see to many problems because of it. We've had our share too, so no more for mine. As for raw. Well, I bought a dog off a breeder who swore by a certain all natural dry food and a raw diet. She talked one of her puppy buyers into feeding it and the pup got returned to her as an adult with absolutely the worst coat I have ever seen on a sheltie, and that was after she'd had him back for 3 months, trying to fix the problem. The day she actually picked him up, well, I hate to imagine how bad it was, she drove from a show to the airport to get him and he was so bad she hid him in her dog trailer when she got back to the show. So, she probably thought "Come in sucker" when I was very interested in buying him, but I was confident about working some magic and thrilled that I could have him. Long story short, that awful all natural dry food left permanent dirty stains on his teeth, I found he hated the raw diet, so I took him off that, and after some coat care and a decent diet he ended up winning his class at a Sheltie National. Don't you love a good ending?
What was in the all natural dry food? That's kind of a conundrum in itself, isn't it? If you are not feeding the proper raw diet with the proper amount of nutrients then yes, I can see the problems you are speaking of.
But to each their own. A lot of people on this forum feed raw and have had amazing results from it. I have never, before now, heard anything else.
Sounds to me like there were other things going on with this poor dog beside bad nutrition.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!