View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Probably not feasible since you're away too long, certainly you wouldn't want him pooping in them!

Peeing is usually a sign of frustration or asserting dominance ("this is mine!"). It seems to me that Gizzy is constantly jealous of Forest or maybe trying to dominate him by peeing on his spots where his scent is, even tho he hasn't used that bed for a while.
So does Gizzy end up takie over these places? When I was trying to establish their own beds, Gizzy would sneak on Forest's bed to sleep or lay on. Then I would pick him up and move him to his own bed. He doesn't really associate his bed with the purr pad, but the specific spot of the couch. So if my bf puts Gizzy's purr pad on the ground so my bf can sit where Gizzy usually lays. Gizzy will sit in front of him and meow at him, not even caring about his purr pad on the ground. I'm wondering if I should just get them actual beds instead of using the purr pads so they actually associate it as an appropriate sleeping spot...
And has he peed on Forest's new resting place? No he hasn't, mostly b/c Forest is permanently glued to it.
I guess the important thing here is, does this bother Forest or could he care less as he has a new "hammock" recliner. At one time you said that Forest was dominant over Gizzy, so has their relationship flipped? I don't think so, I do see a few swats from Gizzy at Forest, but Forest just walks away as if he doesn't care. I don't think Gizzy will ever become the dominant one.
Does Forest still dominate Gizzy or does he pretty much ignore him and do his own thing? I'm thinking he still does it but I haven't seen him do it. I think he knows he gets yelled at when we DO see him doing it, so he does it when we aren't looking (i.e. not at home or sleeping).
If Forest is still trying to dominate Gizzy it could be Gizzy getting back at him by peeing on his bed. This is what I suspect that is still going on. I had stopped spraying the water & vinegar sol'n for awhile cuz there was no spraying and I thought we were cured. Silly me!

I've had stud cats, unspayed females, as well as neuters and spays. It's been my experience that generally speaking males, whether neutered or not, tend to spray a lot more females (unless they're in heat!). Once a male even tho neutered starts spraying regularly, it's very difficult to correct this behaviour, as often events will just set him off---change in household (new person/another pet), change in routine of owner (shift work), seeing another cat outiside, smelling another cat off your hands or clothes. Any of these things and more could be a trigger to spray something. It's natural for whole male cats to spray, but I have known some breeders who were able to let their stud full freedom in the house and never sprayed. So it really depends a lot on the cat's personality and whether he's bothered by things or just really laid back. I've had some neuters that did spray and others that didn't. My present neuter has never sprayed and he has neighbour cats regularly visit and look at him through our patio doors. You might just have to reconcile yourself that Gizzy is a spayer , at least from time to time, and try to discover what it is that triggers it so it becomes a rare event, but have a good urine eraser just in case.

If Gizzy's just spraying while you're out, perhaps the only solution is to keep them separated; let Forest have your bedroom or let Gizzy have the bathroom or get a dog crate and keep Gizzy confined until you get home. this is so long, I got carried away!
I have pitched this idea over and over to my bf but he just keeps saying no! He is soo not a responsible cat owner! GRR! and trying to find a big enough dog crate that will house a litter box and food is hell especially when we have limited funds. This is why I'm trying to convince my bf to move and take up his mom's suggestion. She wants to help us out in the living situation and help his sister at the same time. She wants to see if she can buy a house with a basement apartment and we live upstairs while his sister gets the basement. Even though we will spend more on gas we will have a lot more that $100 to spend every month! At least $400 more! I don't understand why he keeps saying no to more money saved just b/c his sister will be splitting the rent but living in separate quarters. And this will solve a lot of problems we have now: Forest and Gizzy will have separate rooms, I can have more closet space, we will have a backyard (to bbq)!, no elevators, a garage (for him to work on his car cuz he will have money!), the list goes on and on and he is still fixated on the fact we will be living very close to his sister. Sorry for the kinda off-topic rant, but it would solve this problem that we have with Gizzy, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
Have you thought about doing an outdoor enclosure (preferably somewhere the smell wouldn't be too bothersome around the house, because obviously he'll do it out there)?

The leash thing is a good suggestion too.

I have a female cat that's a sprayer and the only thing that slows it down is giving her outdoor time. She doesn't do it constantly but she will do it on things that are new in the house and periodically in random places. She is fixed, it doesn't matter, I think it's a habit of hers and she was probably doing it before we got her (we got her as a rescue and she was already fixed and an adult). Luckily female cats spray doesn't smell as bad as a males, but it can still be pretty bad sometimes.

With your furniture you may wanna try covering in plastic. You can cover the plastic with a cloth furniture cover to hide it and that can just be thrown in the wash. It would make things a lot easier.
I've tried to find cloth furniture covers that are waterproof, kind of like the covers that go on beds, but no luck . You could try making one yourself with a waterproof liner if you're good with a sewing machine, but it would be expensive compared to the plastic and furniture cover suggestion. It would look nicer though.
We live in a high rise apartment with no balcony, so an outdoor enclosure is kinda impossible lol but if I can somehow convince my bf to move then we could actually build the outdoor enclosure, and Forest would be soo happy cuz he was an outdoor cat for 14 years.

Our furniture isn't anything really special but it is a place to put your bum, especially for guests. I started spraying the vinegar solution morning and night again and I think I will have to start putting down aluminum foil as well. That will be easier to remove for when company comes over.

And the other thing if I do manage to convince him to move and everything's a go, his sister will prolly bring Spaz (their mom's cat), but he's an outdoor cat, but I'm sure we could find a way to keep him inside or safe outside in a separate enclosure. So I dunno if Gizzy will ever be ok if there is another cat in the house, out of site most of the time, but sometime's seeing him play outside with Forest, kinda thing. And I have recently fallen in love with Ragdolls, so what would happen if I ever got one? Soo frustrating! But am so glad everyone here is so helpful!