• 1 lb. beef liver
• 2 large eggs (wash shells if you are going to include them)
• 1 cup fat free cottage cheese
• 1 1/2 cups wheat germ
• 3 cups wheat flour
½ tea each baking soda & powder
Additional flour for rolling
Tip: It is easier to cut liver (and other meats) while slightly frozen.
1. Preheat oven to 300° F
2. Rinse liver and cut into 1 inch pieces (see note above).
3. In a 2 quart sauce pan bring liver and one cup of water to a boil over high heat.
4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until liver is no longer pink. Approximately 5 minutes.
5. Reserve cooking liquid.
6. In a blender or food processor puree the liver and eggs (if you are going to include the egg shells, now is the time to do so).
7. Add reserved cooking liquid, as needed, to assist the puree process and keep the ingredients moving.
8. Spoon liver mixture into a bowl.
9. Stir in the cottage cheese, wheat germ, flour and any remaining cooking liquid.
10. Knead dough until it no longer feels sticky.
11. Roll out into 1/2" thickness and cut with dog cookie cutters.
12. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
13. Another option: Drop a tablespoon of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Slightly flatted the ball with a fork to make a dog cookie.
14. Bake for one hour.
15. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving to your dog.
Once the liver dog treats are cooled, they should not leave a residue when touched. If they do, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until completely hard and no residue remains.