Thread: The TJTwitter
View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No LBBs, Chris, cuz I have no pics. At least not of what Winston likely has... Ours pretty much just migrate through. I have some pics somewhere of white-throated sparrows and juncos, maybe even a fox sparrow...if I can find them, I'll post them, too.

As to how they find mates if the gender ratio is skewed, some of them don't...but there can also be a fair amount of infidelity even in monogamous species, so a lot of them will lurk and await their chance to flirt with the ladies when their mates are away forgaging (or flirting with yet other ladies ) There may likely be other individuals that will move into the area as spring arrives, too, so your bachelors may yet be able to find a lady-love of their very own (give or take a few dalliances that happen on the side )

Winston, I have that field guide, too! It kept falling out of my photo vest, though, cuz it's a little taller than the Golden one. I'd lean over to look at some plant or other and I'd hear this plop as it fell out and landed in the patch of poison ivy I always seem to be near But it's a pretty good guide.

The red-bellied woodpecker is just a few cm longer than the hairy, and it's stouter, so yes, it is bigger.

What kind of birds fill your hedge, ownedbycats?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."