View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM

Re: Small laborador?

Quote:
Originally posted by ds953
My fiance and I are looking for a small, city friendly, people friendly, other dog friendly, preferably short haired dog. We are interested specifically in laboradors. Does anyone know of a small laborador breed?
I apologize in advance because this is going to sound facetious, but you DO know that the Labrador IS a breed unto itself, and not a classification of breed types, right? Meaning there aren't different "breeds" of Labs.

There is no such thing as a "small laborador breed" (sic). Labrador retrievers are a medium-large dog, generally weighing more than 55 lbs. Typically they seem to be closer to about 65-70. They are by NO MEANS small like the Boston Terrier you had the bad experience with.

As puppies, they are holy terrors (and this comes from someone who raises border collie puppies!). Chew chew chew chew chew chew chew. Probably someone who has had Lab puppies can attest to that.

And I believe the "docile Lab" imagine doesn't start applying until they are considerably older. I was actually out with my border collies recently and ran into a woman with her Lab in the park. She mentioned she was thinking about getting a second dog, probably a BC, and I cautioned that the breed needed a lot of exercise. She said "Oh I know what you mean, my Lab needs about 4 hours every day." I was floored, because my border collies sure don't need 4 hours every day!

If you are looking for a small breed, the Lab is NOT it. And as someone who lives in the city with a very high energy breed of dog, I can tell you that I think what you mean by "city friendly" is not something that applies to the Lab. While a dedicated owner can live anywhere with her dogs, because she will go the distance to give them what they need, Labs need exercise and lots of room to run (play ball, swim etc.) and that can be difficult in the city.

Maybe you are thinking of something else?

RDM