View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Personally I would rather have 'meal' as a first ingredient rather than meat in it's wet weight. Once the water is removed during processing, a wet weight meat is going to drop down the ingredient list. Since this food has chicken meal first, and chicken second - the actual chicken is going to drop down to about 5th on the list anyway. While this food is much better than most store brands I've seen - it's still fairly grainy. I also don't like the brewer's rice.

Still, it's a huge step forward for a store brand food. I'd be curious as to where it's made though - and where they get their ingredients from.

ETA: Ok - well, perhaps the large breed has taken a step forward but this formula hasn't:
Quote:
President's Choice, Nutrition 1st, Adult Chicken & Rice formula:
Chicken, chicken meal, brewers rice, ground corn, corn gluten meal, poultry fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), ground barely, fish meal, poultry flavour, beet pulp, flaxseed meal, dried whole egg, yeast culture, salt, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, mannannoligosaccharide, choline chloride.
Please note that product ingredients and product information may occasionally change from the above. Kindly refer to actual product labelling.
That last 'qualifying statement' would have me running the other way quickly even if the ingredients weren't sub-par (I added the bold).

Last edited by kandy; October 29th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.