View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM

I have to let you know, I love your dog. When I was a small child, My grandfather raised these beautiful coon hounds, and hunted with them. My grandmother baby sat 9 grandkids everyday while our parents worked. I loved dogs so much my grandfather put me to work feeding and watering, walking the hound puppys. Helping to get them ready for new homes. I never ever forgot the joy of this experience in my life. Today,I teach obedience at my kennel club, and am involved with rescue and foster. I owe it all to these wonder dogs. How lucky you are to own him. He is beautiful. As to your question. If you aren't a hunter, their are games you can play with him that mit help with his missing the hunt. Take a treat ball with treats in it and hide it. Let him go find it. If you live near a park with woods, hook him to a loong training leash and let him sniff around as you walk with him. I agree with if you have one near you to see if their is a group for search/tracking classes. It mit be a really fun thing for you both. You could contact a kennel club near you, they mit be able to give more info. on what you could now do with your hound. The agilty thing would be fun. Even just taking some obedience glasses to start off with would get him off the couch. LOL! And bless your heart for caring how he mit be missing the hunt.