View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Heartbroken

I came across this site a few weeks ago when I did a google search concerning nose bleeds in dogs. I noticed one day that my 16 year old Bichon was bleeding from one side of her nostril. I took her to the vet immediately and he told me that based on his experience that it was cancer. He said that there isn't a cure for that kind of cancer in dogs and didn't recommend any treatment for it. He did a blood test and her white cell count was over 15,000. He said that was unusual since she did not have a fever. He pur her on an antibiotic and we did another blood test in three days. It was only down to 13,500 and he switched to a stronger antiobitic and then after another test it was virtually unchanged. At that point I wasn't going to take her back every few days for another test and $125. If she was much younger I would do it in a heartbeat. Her nose bleeds stopped for a couple of weeks and then they have started back up again heavier just this week. I can tell when her nose is clogged because she starts sleeping with her mouth open. She doesn't have much of an appetite and has lost about one and a half pounds in a month. I know what I have to do but I don't know when. My daughters cocker had breast cancer and when she asked me what to do I told her that she would know when it was time to do something. But it's hard for me to face that. I had a cocker that we had to put to sleep and I thought I would die. I have been sitting here reading all of these posts and just crying because I know what is coming and there isn't anything I can do to stop it. I have had Snoozie from the day I picked her out of the litter at the breeder at three weeks old. Born on my anniversary (Snoozies Anniversary Waltz) and we picked her up at six weeks old on my daughters sixteenth birthday. She has had my heart from the moment I held her and I will miss her terribly.