View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Well I've taken the plunge to teach myself knitting. But I already know how to crochet and cross stitch and other crafts but I really like the way knitted fabric looks and feels. Plus I want to make some stuff for me to wear.

Right now I'm doing a giant triangle shawl in Bernat cotton because it's the only yarn I have on hand. I made a ton of washcloths with it a few years back but bored of crochet, and it's too bumpy for my taste.

I am not too interested in toques (winter caps/hats) or mittens or scarves but maybe I could do some fingerless gloves one day. What I'm really interested in are plain pullovers, nothing too hard. Every pattern I find online is too stylish for me with funky stitches or calls for expensive yarns. I just want something plain and simple with either V neck or boat neck.
I have a pattern book that is older than dirt but have been using for ever, It has pages that are taped together and comments in the margins, it calls for Patons Canadiana yarn - quite inexpensive, but you can use really any worsted weight yarn, it covers children's size 2 up to adults XXL, has choices of V-necks, crew necks, tutlenecks, set in sleeves, raglan sleeves, or drop shoulder sleeves, cardigans and pull overs - all in one handy book! See why it has been around with me for so long? All sweaters ar basically the same pattern, just adjusted for sleeve style and neck.
If this is what you are looking for, to save time PM me and I will photo copy what you want and mail it to you. I don' think the book is even still made, but it has helped me make numerous sweaters for my kids and now grandkids. It is pretty basic knit/purl stuff, nothing fancy.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge