View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2005, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

What's the desired goal of the boycott - behaviour modification or bankruptcy?

I certainly understand Schwinn's point. No company should be hated simply because they are big and big companies aren't necessarily evil. Maybe though they should be held to higher standards in order to show smaller companies that you can be ethical and still make money.

We certainly aren't going to drive IAMS into the ground by boycotting against them which appears to be PETA's goal. Maybe the best we can hope for is to change the way they behave and move on from there. They have saved far more dogs and cats by supporting agencies such as the Humane Society than they have harmed. While this is no justification for the way they have acted maybe the way HSUS is dealing with it is the best way. If they are driven out of the pet food business then they would have no reason to support any animal causes. Still we should keep our eyes on them.

Chico2: There is a difference between Animal Services (pounds) and organizations like the Humane Society. Winnipeg has both. Tim Dack is the 'commandant' for the city run Animal Services. I have never heard of Humane Societies selling animals for research.

Pound seizure is not a legal requirement in Manitoba so Tim Dack (the )had no reason to support it. Ontario however does have a law and if Bill 132 passes we can only guess what fate will await pit bull pups. The SPCA however breaks this law every day - which means I fully support an outlaw organization. Cuff me Bryant. I take that back who knows what sick ideas would cross his mind if I were cuffed.

Ontario
The Ontario Animals for Research Act requires pounds to relinquish dogs and cats they have held for more than three days if requisitioned by a registered research facility. This is hardly enough time to find a new home for these animals, or even for someone to find a well-loved, but lost family companion. The Animals for Research Act was created to ensure a cheap source of animals for experimentation, and stipulates that laboratories pay only $6 per dog and $2 per cat. In contrast, a person wanting to adopt one of these animals as a companion could be required to pay up to $150 for a dog and $80 for a cat. At least 10 pounds in Ontario continue to provide animals for experimentation; however, humane societies and shelters affiliated with the Ontario SPCA will not supply animals to laboratories, despite the legislation.
http://www.cruelscience.ca/pound-prov.htm