View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Steaming the chicken is fine. Yes, I give cottage cheese occassionaly. Cottage cheese can calm the stomach, as long as your dog isn't lactose intolerant. If he doesn't have a reaction to yogurt, then he's probably fine in that dept. Pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pie filling) can also soothe the digestive tract. And I add canned food to almost every meal my dogs get.

The lack of moisture in kibble isn't as critical for a dog as it is for a cat. Dogs will drink water, whereas cats were designed to get all the moisture they need from their prey. However, if your dog is a deep chested breed, and drinks a ton of water after he eats - then his risk of bloat goes up. There is alot of conflicting information on what actually causes bloat - but it seems to happen to dogs who eat their kibble quickly and then drink lots of water right after. Or if your dog for some reason doesn't drink enough water, then the low level chronic dehydration would create it's own health problems. If you are concerned that your dog isn't getting enough water, you can soak the kibble in a bit of water before feeding. I have seen a thread here that talked about not wetting down kibble that had citric acid in it - but I haven't been able to find any other information on that.