View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:31 PM
The reason you might be having difficulty finding resources for this is because the diagnosis is not really defined. Pyoderma or pyodermas is a polygenic skin disease, which simply means your dog has a disorder that causes a skin problem that produces pus (infection).

What is necessary now is to find out what kind of pyoderma your dog has. It can be bacterial, it can be immuno-related or it can be parasitic (like mange or lice).

Often time, reoccurring pyodermas are a result of a suppressed immune system and are actually secondary indicators of a different problem - like an autoimmune disorder or allergies.

Basset hounds in particular, I believe, are prone to something called Malassezia dermatitis (spelling may be incorrect) and if I remember correctly, it's often present with other immuno-issues like hypothyroidism, diabetes, endocrine problems etc.

The best advice I can give you is to ask your vet for a referral to a canine dermatologist (yes they exist, and no, they don't mainly do skin peels for a deeper looking tan!) to examine the problem in more detail. Barring that, a complete blood panel and endocrine panel would be a good idea, to make sure your dog is not immuno-compromised in some way which could be contributing to the lack of healing of the pyodermic problem.

Good luck.

That'll Do Border Collie Rescue
"Working Hard to Rescue and Rehome Hard Working Dogs"