Thread: Felliway
View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Felliway

Hi;

Does anyone know if the cat calming products in the pet stores are effective?
I'm working on integrating a new cat into my household (see complete story at http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62347). I have two other cats who have gotten along together just fine for years but with the new cat in the house there are some problems. So far I've been cycling between giving all of them supervised free access and isolating the new cat in the bedroom for a couple of hours every evening. There are still some serious tensions between the three of them - hissing, growling and at least one significant fight.

Most disturbing is that the relationship between my two resident cats has suffered. They are hissing and growling and basically upsetting each other. Also, my younger boy does not want to come out from under the bed. I can coax him out with a treat and he'll stay in the living room if I put him there but he's always been little mister friendly and I'm getting worried that the stress of having the new cat, and the aggression, will affect him permanently.

The pet store I frequent has a product, a plug in device like a room freshener, and the label says "contains felliway". My specific question is whether this is the felliway product that's been mentioned in several other threads or if there is something more appropriate that might be available only through the vet?

Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions about relieving some of the aggression and tension. I don't want to continue having to isolate everyone all the time - it's not fair to the two who have been with me for all these years. Fortunately, if I can't make this work - the newer cat's previous home is willing to take her back.....it's just not an ideal situation for her. She won't be abandoned at any rate!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs