Originally Posted by rainbow
It's not the worst food out there and I'm sure a shelter or rescue would love to receive it should you win. The ingredients I don't like are:
1. fish meal - unspecified type of fish...all meats & fish should be named.
2. brewers rice - low quality ingredient with no nutritional value.
3. chicken liver digest - low quality ingredient used as a flavour enhancer
4. tomato pomace - mainly the skins of tomatoes that may contain leftover pesticide
5. menadione sodium bisulfite complex - controversial ingredient linked to cancer.
I would leave your dog on the Acana. It's a good food from a company that I respect and trust with great customer service.
Okay, so, let me clear up what all these ingreds are about - I am a vet tech and have some info to clear up.
Fish meal - unspecified, because it is a mix of white fish- "meal" means it is the main part of the fish - the good part (by-product is the left over).
Brewer's rice - it is actual rice that has not been over processed into the pretty little kernels humans eats, so, actually, it is better than what we eat.
Chicken Liver is GREAT for an extra iron boost for dogs especially, who, in the wild eat a raw diet - Chicken liver is essential for good health
Tomato Pomace is a vitamin ingredient. It provided vitamin D and C for the animal. It is actutally really good for them. It is good for solid stool health for a dog and cat.
Menadione sodium bisulfite complex - was tested in 1070 on HUMANS and a very SMALL part of the tested were diagnosed with leukemia.
So, hopefully, I have not upset anyone- this is just what I have learned from my studies - so, by no means does everyone have to agree, but, I thought I should clear it up.