View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey
...so I can't say that I would 'raise my eyebrows' when another trainer is doing the same thing.
In my opinion, no matter how much experience we have training or with different breeds, there will probably always be dogs that come our way that we just can't fix. Whether we're not the right fit for the owner or the dog, I think it's important to be open and honest as a trainer, so that we can personally help the dog in need. That's what it all comes down too - not our ego, or our concern about whether or not someone will think we don't have a clue what we're doing if we ask for help.
True, but with the "trainer" I used as an example I'm talking about his own dogs, not clients. If he can't get his own dogs (multiple dogs, multiple "issues") trained and responding to him, it makes me wonder what he has to offer paying clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog22 View Post
I really don't think it's a matter of "credentials", it's only a matter of experience.
I agree, which is why I used quotes around the word credentials. I wasn't actually referring to a piece of paper but to what qualifies a person to be offering that particular piece of advice. i.e. why should anyone listen to what person X has to say, what does that person have to offer?

Quote:
They read it and believe it's true. I think the only way we can really combat this is to offer a variety of different methods and to discuss this fully. Perhaps we can all make a concentrated effort to be more thorough in our posts, to help newbies understand not only the method but the dynamics behind the method and why it will work or will not.
I think it would be great if we could somehow get newbies to realize that they don't have to rush out and try whatever they read in the first response they get to a question, just because so-and-so said to. To take the time to think that maybe if several people suggest the same/similar thing then it might have merit and be a good method to try. Also, for newbies to not be afraid to ask why this particular tip might work for their pet, or what experience the poster has with this type of situation. I don't think anyone would be upset to have their suggestions/experience questioned by someone new to the board who has no idea who you are.

Many of the responses I post to training-type questions are in regards to raising puppies, raising multiple puppies, crate training, multiple dog households etc. I am not a dog trainer and I do not claim to be a dog trainer, however I do have a lot of personal experience in those areas. I will often explain this in my response, or sometimes offer a bit of a disclaimer (ie. "I haven't done this myself, but...I know someone who has had great success with this method" or "... but I read a great article about such-and-such that may be of some help" or "...but here is a relevant website that you might like to visit"). I hope that by including these type of statements it will help the OP to understand where I'm coming from and why/how what I've said may be able to help.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; April 13th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.