View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I am still alittle taken back with comments made in this thread. I just want to let the OP know firstly - thank you taking in a rescue as there are millions of cats, dogs, rabbits, birds etc that are waiting for loving new families.

All rescues are more or less different. They conduct themselves differently, their pre-requisites for a new home is different, their screening process...different and what they test for in an animal equally all different. One thing that they do try and do is maintain a good reputation. One small error can close them down and they will be torn apart by individuals, shelters and other rescues. For this reason they try and ensure that any animal in their care are handed over to new families with vetting to the best of their ability, and promise (if not already done - puppies or kittens) to be sterilized.

Rescues and shelters are normally very diligent when it comes to health and sterilization. If an animal falls ill once adopted, almost MOST rescues will follow up and either take the animal back to their vet (free of charge to the adopter) or if the situation is fatal, they will either re-fund or replace the animal in question. If they are notified that an animal is ill - they will quarantine all animals in their care until they know what is going on with the animal that is ill. They want to ensure that all animals are free of illness and this has NOTHING to do about the money or there lack of.

Don't forget, rescues rely on their reputation to continue a very important service to the animals and the public. It is NOT in their best interest to adopt out a sick pet and then turn their backs on the adoptive family. Mathematically it just does not make sense.

Let's just all remember number one - this OP needs a little direction on what to do and number two - this OP saved a life of an animal that required a new loving family. This thread is not about what rescues do and don't do - but I had to set the record straight in order to keep the integrity of rescues and the rescuers - there just is not enough of them.

Last edited by BenMax; March 30th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.