View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbella2 View Post
I have a 5 month old Redbone/Walker coonhound, Bella. We got her at 5 weeks because the breeders were 'dying' to get rid of her. :sad: She was the first born and the most dominant of the litter. With a lot of love and attention she became a wonderful addition to our family. We have 3 small children and she knows her place and is always a happy dog. She was house trained in 3 weeks, knows her limits when playing, she also knows the basics (sit, laydown, roll over, sit up) She is working on stay

Our problem is this... the first time we took her to the vet she was scared but the vet (male) was gentle and got down on the floor and played with her before examining and giving shots... the second time we took her to the same clinic and a new vet (female) put her up on the table, gave her her shot and that was it... the third time the same female vet tried to examine her on the floor (too big for the table now) and Bella growled and snapped and the vet muzzled her and then had a nurse hold Bella down. The vet said that she was concerned that Bella was having that type of reaction at her age and needs better social training.

Bella had the same kind of reaction when we took her to a local groomer to have her nails clipped... however the groomer didnt take anytime to get to know her and I wonder if its the groomer & vet behavior or Bella's?

I am trying to find out if our puppy really has a social problem or if she is just acting out of fear. I need advice as we are taking her back to the vet in 2 weeks for her final booster and rabies shot and we are thinking of finding another vet before then.
It does sound like fear.when dogs are scared some will take flight and some will react with aggression to get who ever is not backing off weither it be human or animal.

You could start taking her to the vet office just for visit and weighings so she gets to become fimiliar with the office and the people that work there,same as with the groomer so she can get to know them.socializing is a big thing.in the beginning thats what i did with the vets office and he would go straight to the scale and sit and wait for a treat and he was fearful the first few times we went there.