View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Lori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
It is normal for a cat not to have a bowel movement for atleast 4 days after an enema. He was cleaned out pretty good and you have just started giving the lactulose - I would call by tuesday/wednesday if he doesn't have a bowel movement. I also found out that Miralax is sold over the counter in the US. It is kind of like the lactulose but you can get it in an odourless/tastless liquid and put into their food. I think you can mix lactulose w/ some water and mix into their food as well. But I would double check with the vet first. This may be an easier way of feeding it to him. My girl cat has not had a stool for 5 days so she will probably be getting an emema today....poor girl I spoke with someone that has taken her cat to a holistic vet and her cat has been regular ever since. This may be my next aaproach. I too am trying to find something that works for my kitty...each cat is different. It's just finding what works best for your own kitty. I am praying I find something soon before it progresses into megacolon.
I hope your girl is feeling better today....I know my Tyler will end up at the vet this week also...I try to keep positive but it keeps getting harder. May I ask how much your vet charges when she does an enema? I don't mean to be nosey but when I take Tyler it's at the LEAST $100 and he had to go 2x last week & I just don't have that kind of money anymore...I'd hate to start looking for another vet at this point because he knows them & we've been with them for a long time. I've been in the other forum(the one you suggested) & someone there uses Miralax, says it's great stuff, also Senna which is found in Senocot, they are both stool softeners, have you had any experience with either? Good luck today & I hope your sweetie girl is feeling better!